Monday, April 22, 2024

(Cake)boxing clever

 

For work, I produce a lot of dioramas - most of which have to be stored for future show use. In the distant past, this resulted (and occasionally still does) in a shelves full of odd shaped boxes in our storage unit. 

Once the idea of the Cakebox competition came up though, I realised I could standardise on these containers for my builds. Most of the time, an 8 inch scene is big enough for the article to showcase a series of techniques. As I say to people regularily - ballasting produces three photos, whether I do six inches of sixty feet. But the later is a month's worth of work that doesn't generate enough material for an issue. That's why I build little layouts...

Anyway, with a couple of dioramas to box, I searched around Leamington town centre for cake boxes. Nothing. 

OK, online, where it turns out I can buy 10 for a tenner from The Craft Company. There is now a stack of flat-packed boxes in the office, which will gradually find themselves filled, sadly, not with cake. 

With a bit of fiddling and glue, it's easy to reduce the height of a box too, making better use of the storage space. Handy things these.

No comments: