Monday, April 15, 2024

Tipper repair

 

At least I managed to recover all the bits from the gravel. At one point, when back at the workbench, I wasn't quite sure that the jigsaw was complete, but after a bit of puzzling, it is. 

Assembly of this kits was with Revell Contacta, which sticks the ABS material, but weakly enough that the joints break cleanly. This makes reassembly a lot easier. The clean breaks extend to the paint, which won't need a touch up either.

Half an hours work, and everything is as good as new. I've used Contacta again, with the odd wash of ABS solvent to speed up the joint drying. 

The thing is, I really liked the look of the train behind Ragleth. Which is why there is a box with some more of these kits in the office now...


4 comments:

James Finister said...

It is well worth thinking of using the basic Hudson chassis for other types of wagon. The easiest is a simple flatbed (mine originally ran on the infamous Compton Down Railway).

My favourite was to mount a second chassis crossways, with spacers to raise it above height, to make an end tipper.

Phil Parker said...

I have a couple of flats made from the chassis, and have ordered more as I like them so much. Such an adaptable design, in model and prototype form!

Paul B. said...

I made a flat with a removable seat on one, and another is the basis of a van, still unfinished after 20+ years.
I remember 80 of these skips in a train one day in '94, at one of Brian Clarke's Small Engine Rallies, pulled by several kit-built battery powered diesels.

Phil Parker said...

80?! That must have looked magnificent. (Heads to website to order more...)