It's time to order my 2027 calendar - the 2026 one is filling up with all sorts of things, and bookings will soon stretch past December.
While on the Isle of Man Railways website placing the order, I spotted the Motorman Basics Handbook, for a paltry £3.
When the package arrived, I opened up the book and was surprised. OK, it's a slim publication, but inside is packed with all sorts of nerdy, technical detail for those interested in MER trams, or just trams generally.
The driving and stopping mechanisms are explained in great detail - I'll need more than a single read-through if I'm to take it all in. Suffice to say that if you've ever wondered what goes on inside the pedestal the driver stands behind in a tram, it's all in here!
Likewise, the various braking systems are fully covered with some excellent diagrams.
This book is part of the ultimate driving experience. Presumably this is a longer session than the one I took a few years ago. No book for me! It was still great fun though. Driving a real tram, on a live line, complete with wandering sheep.
At the back of the book, there is a rundown of the different types of driving cars and trailers to be found on the MER. This stock listing is worth the price alone, as there is a lot of variety in the fleet.
A must for the Manx transport enthusiast, or anyone interested in tramways generally.



No comments:
Post a Comment