Thursday, July 05, 2018

Ben in 009

Barclay
I'm not much of a loco buyer, prefering to build them myself. Normally, I'll have a crack at anything, but there was one kit I looked at many times and decided that it was beyond my abilities. Backwoods Miniatures Barclay Contractors loco in 009 (Link here, scroll down).

Building a high quality but fiddly chassis always put me off, even though I thought the loco looked delightful in the adverts. At the very least I would be required to quarter some tiny wheels and I'm no good at that in OO. Alongside this, I simply didn't have a real need for the model and there were (still are) plenty of kits in the "to do" pile.The kit isn't available any more and so I thought no more about it.

Fast forward a few years and I'm at the Oxford 009 show and on the society stand I spot a built up Barclay. After half a day of pondering, I ask to see if the model runs. It does, although a very slight tweak to the quartering might be required. Price £70 - a tenner less than the kit used to be sold for.
Barclay chassis
Looking at the chassis, it's not nearly as scary as I thought.The design looks not unlike some RTR 009 locos. The wheels would need to be set up, but turning the working bits over without a motor would be simple enough for fiddling.

All seems to work, but I fear the motor isn't long for this world. When running it heats up and a full speed blast for a couple of feet seems white smoke wafting off. Since nothing seems tight, I conclude that there is something bad going on in the windings. With Mashima motors being unavailable, I have to hope I have something suitable stashed away, or can one day replace it with another unit. The chassis design makes that look a distinct possibility, so I'm not worried.

Going back to the days when I looked longingly at the Backwoods adverts, they appealed so much I scratchbuilt my own version in 16mm scale, 32mm gauge. I was always rather poud of "Ben", so much so, I've ordered a set of Narrow Planet plates for the 009 version with the same name.

Ben the steam engine

3 comments:

Paul B. said...

Well, if you want to sell the unbuilt kit on...

As for the motor, have a look at N-Drive. They sell a 1015 replacement, which looks to be a good little motor although I haven't tried one yet (I have one sat ready to be fitted into a Saltford Models 009 Simplex). N-Drive don't list them on their website (at least I can't find it) so look for 'N-Drive 1015 12v DC micro motor' on eBay. The shaft is 1mm rather than 1.5 but they do supply a sleeve. Good price as well.

Phil Parker said...

Thanks - I'll have a look.

N-Drive said...

The 1015 motor is available directly from N-Drive and will appear on the website when I eventually get round to up-dating it as will the 3-009 contractors locos (including the Barclay) and the 00n3 Irish range from Backwoods Miniatures which I am now also responsible for. It is hoped that when the 009 locos are re-introduced a rtr chassis will be available as an option.