Saturday, July 28, 2018

Saturday Film Club: VW Action 1990



I've been thinking about my Beetle recently. It really is time I sorted out the fleet a bit. With a bit of luck my camper will soon find a new owner if he can sell his own bug for a deposit* - which leaves me with just a broken Volkswagen. 

I bought the car in 1991 so would have headed to my first VW show later in the same year. That show was VW Action, then held at Stoneleigh park. As I went in, I marveled at all the people carrying large bits of car out. "I'll never do that" I thought. a few years later, my dad and I carried out some brand new doors for the restoration...

Fashions change a lot. There are less "cal-lookers" now. Less beetles in general as people prefer more reliable water-cooled cars. You don't see many Baja bugs either, but there will be one in my dream garage as I think they look brill. But as I can't (quite) justify building a Tamiya version either, that dream will have to wait.

*unless I win the lottery first and can build a garage, in which case I'm keeping it!

No comments: