Saturday, July 07, 2018

Saturday Film Club: Behind the scenes with Thomas



Some interesting footage here showing the filming of the pre-CGI series of Thomas the Tank Engine. 

I'm no expert, but there appears to be footage from filming one of the films - a stupid dies with a grab on the top dangles from a viaduct at one point. Nevertheless, it's fascinating to see the scale of many of the sets required for the Gauge 1 and larger models to operate in.

Some nice 80s shirts going on too as well as vintage radio control gear.

3 comments:

Paul B. said...

I wonder what the Rev. would have made of the silly diesel with the grab on its roof...
I suppose more characters means more toys to sell.

Mark said...

I've just started watching the first series again with my little one. I'd forgotten just how entertaining they were, and fascinating to watch again as an adult looking at the modelling. I think we're going to stop well before we get to the more modern series though a) the CGI version does nothing for me and b) like Paul I'm not a fan of the "invent" a loco for effect stories.

Mark said...

By the way if you want more behind the scenes details then these two blog posts are well worth a read; rolling stock and narrow gauge.