Thursday, December 29, 2022

More light in BRM

 

I'm sticking with road vehicle lighting in February's issue of BRM. Last month I used LEDs, but now it's time for fibre optic cables. Once seen a a very futuristic bit of kit, they have noww been usurped in many people's eyes by micro electronics. However, they still have a place, especially if you'd like to keep the light source away from the rest of the model. After all, once you fit a fibre opitic cable, it can't break down unless you cut it!

My camera got some use at DEMU this year, when I spotted something innovative and N gauge - Ryecroft Arena. 

Ryecroft Arena

This micro layout really gets the feel of an inner city station sandwiched in the middle of a collection of modern, large, buildings. The tight space is perfect for multiple unit trains, and the only option (albeit a good one) if you have a collection, but no room for even a modest size layout. 

Finally, on BRM TV, I build a tea hut. 

It's the basic Wills plastic kit, which dates from a period many of our readers won't remember, but there's nothing wrong with it despite this. I take viewers through the entire build, something that takes longer than I expected, but if the format works, I can see use doing similar projects in the future. 



2 comments:

James Finister said...

I thought this was a great issue. Stratford St. Mary looks superb, I had to double check it wasn't 7mm scale.

Phil Parker said...

Can't disagree there. Stratford St. Mary is a simply stunning model, very neat but with life that can be missing from some layouts. Lots of prototype photos will have been examined to produce this result. Well photographed by the owner too.