Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bits of Beetle


Bits of model Beetle
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I do little jobs like this as experiments and because I feel stupidly sorry for the battered little car.

The experiment this time was with paint stripping. I've had success using brake fluid recently so I wondered how it would work on the sort of paint die-casts are covered with. In this case the answer is - none at all. A scrub with a pan scourer did the job though and removed most of the colour.

Then a shot of Halfords grey primer which dried think and lumpy. I wonder if they have added some filler to the mix to make it wore suitable for the domestic market ?

Another scrub and a shot of Eastwood etching primer did the trick. I'll know to stick with this on future important projects !

The glazing took a bit of cleaning up with Brasso but is now reasonably clear. The rest of the bits are fine. Since the chassis has lost it's chrome plating I've painted the visible bits silver. This isn't as good as chrome but brightens it up considerably.

No comments: