Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Red Beetle

Since I've never been any good at spraying gloss paint, the Beetle has been the perfect opportunity to practise. Normally the paint runs or doesn't stick properly. Then I get annoyed because I'm working on a model I care about so I put more paint on, which makes things worse...

Of course because this is a little model and I'm not worried about sticking it back in the paint stripper everything goes fine first time. The paint was let down with thinners as usual. I sprayed it and dried the paint with a hair drier immediately. The body was left overnight and was fully dry when reassembly time came around.

Putting the car back together was unsurprisingly easy. The worst problem was that the clear plastic had gone very brittle and broke. Superglue fixed this but it won't stand handling. I'm guessing that the plastic has been affected by the UV light.

All I need to do is make up some stickers for the doors and rally sign on the bumper and it will be nearly as good as new. Saved from the bin by me.

No comments: