Thursday, May 08, 2008

Ruston bonnet part 2


ruston bonnet
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Here's the tough bit. The bonnet top has to be formed and fitted over the skeleton. My first thoughts had been along the lines of doing all the bends off the model and then simply soldering it on. Of course I'm far too much of a bodger for this. The top curve went OK but I couldn't get the sharp corners where I wanted them.

So, plan B. Solder the bottom edge in place and force the metal to shape over the formers using brute force and ignorance. With big bits of metal like this you can sometimes get away with this and I was lucky this time. The trick is to tack solder the metal as you go and hope this holds everything in place.

At the end I was about 1mm short of where I wanted the metal to be - nothing in a model of this scale.

Wit the difficult bit done, the doors etch is attached by soldering from the back using the provided holes. Then the radiator wrapper is formed around the front. The fit on this was excellent. Finally I made up the grille as the individual parts are a bit flimsy on their own and I worried that they would be damaged if I left them any longer. The grille will stay off for the moment so the inside and fan can be painted.

No comments: