Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Iain Rice tools

 

This is probably going to sound a bit silly, but at the members day, one of the guys was disposing of tools belonging to the late Iain Rice. And I bagged these three. 

We were looking at the dregs of the collection, but no matter. These belonged to someone whose words I have enjoyed over the years, and will act as a momento. Some, probably the Olfa cutter, might even have appear in one of his books. 

All three are actually useful, so they won't be tucked away in reverence, that's not the point of tools to my mind. They will join Alan Gibson's. John Web's and my grandads tools in my toolchest. And when I use them, I'll think of the person in whose footsteps I'm following. 

2 comments:

Steve said...

Not silly at all. I have a coping saw that belonged to my Grandfather, I always get great pleasure when I use it :-)

Apple Tree said...

Same here. Whenever I use my Father's woodworking tools I feel a real connection with him. Some have little pieces of wood tied to them with notes on their use in his handwriting. Wonderful !