Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Wheel woes

 

The van is up on its wheels, but fitting them wasn't quite as easy as I'd hoped. Both axles could be persuaded into the axle boxes, but neither rotated anything like smoothly. 

Examining the problem, I spotted that the freer axle was 58.5mm long, which the other measured 62. How? 

The axle eneds didn't look that special either, some polishing required. 


Supporting each axle on a fine foam sanding block, which helpfully cleaned it as I worked, the wheelset was spun using an electric screwdriver, which I gently attacked the end with a sanding stick to smooth it, and round the corners a little. 

The long axle was reduced in length by 2mm using a fine file and then repolished. Still not entirely happy, a 3mm diameter bit was spun in the axlebox as best I could. Finishing with a countersink bit ensured there weren't any burrs. 

If all this sounds crude, it is. Opening out the bearing would have been a lot easier if it wasn't fitted - my version doesn't allow for a nice squre opening out, but it works.

Soon, the long axle ran perfectly, but the short one mostly worked, but sometimes didn't. A 1mm long piece of copper stuffed in each axlebox removes most of the sideplay, and improves things a lot. 

I suppose this is all part of the "fun" of buying a second hand kit. There is some satisfaction in solving the problems after all!

1 comment:

Phil Chapman said...

Oh I here you. Did a bit of off the cuff 3D modelling and knocked up a 009 slate wagon, of slightly better calibre than PECO. I had some wheels from an old project but ordered more, oh they were "orrid" is was like I had glued them in. Changing the design of the axle box's. Now "hotwheeels" I can't keep them on the work bench.

Phil