Friday, May 12, 2023

My first gauge one wagon

 

In my stash of future projects is a Barrett Steam LNER J65 live steam kit. Picked up at a bargain price, that still required me to go and have a sit down, cup of tea, and slice of cake to decide money from the building socity would be better off turned into a dream kit, I'm hoping to do a Peckett-style build in Garden Rail later this year. 

If I have a loco, I'll need a train. Not a layout, our club is busy building one of these, but I need rolling stock. 

A quick chat with a professional loco painter tells me that a pre-grouping livery can be on the cards, which means no BR wagons. 

Chatting to Graham Langer, it seems that Accucraft's range of PO wagons isn't going to be easy to track down. And then I spotted one for sale on Facebook, which was with me a few days later. 

Do I like it? very much so. Price-wise, it's about two Rapido wagons, which isn't unreasonable if you look at it this way. Which I plan to do, to spare my wallet the pain. 


My aim is to have five wagons and a brake van. That will look lovely in my eyes, and if built up over a long period of time, not be too eye-wateringly expensive. There is the posibility of a four-wheel coach too, so a mixed train is a possibility. 

I'm not going fully RTR. Looking around, if you can aclimatise to £75+ wagons, there are a few very tempting kits out there too. Very tempting. Watch this space. 




3 comments:

James Finister said...

Hold on though, are we talking 1/32 scale or 10mm?

Phil Parker said...

A good question - the wagons so far are 1/32. Not sure what the loco is.

There are some not too worried about the slight difference. With a train of coaches, this would be an issue, less so with wagons.

More digging is required.

James Finister said...

I'm fairly certain the loco in 10mm, but I have been tempted myself. I've even thought about an indoor gauge 1 line. The Accucraft 43xx also appeals, even if stuffed and mounted