Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Completed tram (well, nearly)

Steam tram

I'm calling this one done. Well, nearly anyway. I little revisit will be made in the future. 

The finished tram, looks in my opinion, very good. Adding a set of names plates from the 247 Developments range (got to thier ebay store for the larger scale versions) breaks up the single-colour sides for a bit of interest. By the way Ceridwen is regarded by many modern pagans as the Celtic goddess of rebirth, transformation, and inspiration - OK, not that well connected to a steam tram, but not offensive either. 

STeam tram


All the detail inside makes a difference. I'm going to stick to my guns and not glaze the windows. I'm just not comfortable with glazing, and since it's my model, they stay open so all the fumes can escape. 

Work to do? Well, I want to break out the airbrush and add a little, light weathering eventually. The skirts especially could do with a but of grime, and some soot marks on th roof would be nice. 


When we ran the tram at the NGRS, it became apparent that a hook in the top of the coupling was too tall. This needs to be a removable pin which retails the chain coming out of one of the slots. That shouldn't be too hard to do, and would be more prototypical too. 

Overall - this is a really nice kit. Assembly is easy and if you don't faff with the inside, quick too. The result is a pleasingly sharp model. 

Thanks to commentators on this thread, I've learned a lot about prototype steam trams too. Thanks very much for this. I hope anyone wanting a similar education finds the comments and follows the links. It's a fascinating subject.


 

5 comments:

Steve said...

Looks great. I think you could call it 'ex-workshop' condition.
Hmm... I want one... yikes!

Christopher Payne said...


*

Phil

[1] The final result looks excellent. You have steered your way through the challenges of a freelance narrow gauge model based on an unusual (and not very common) standard gauge prototype.

[2] The steps at the sides of the couplings make sense and are suitably discreet. They look "right".

[3] I agree with you that despite the (as above unusual) Hughes prototype the unglazed look is admirable.

[4] The one thing I feel might provide the necessary finishing touch would be waist high doors at each end. May I refer you to the 3rd and 5th photographs down of loco No 2 of the Alford and Sutton Tramway (2ft 6ins gauge) as seen here?

http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page4/styled-136/page559.html

Whilst this is not a Hughes locomotive, but rather a Merryweather of 1883, it is of similar basic arrangement to your model - a horizontal boiler, footplate space fore and aft, unglazed bodywork under a full length roof, and central doorways at each end.

In the second of those two photographs we see the firebox end of the locomotive with the door (or is it doors) inwardly open. If they are a pair this would make sense in that the swing space for each would be minimal. I would suggest modelling a pair in the closed position at both ends of the loco. In the context of the handrails already in place they would be logical and to some extent a safety measure for the crew - more so than (say) a short length of chain.

[Note: the other locomotive seen on the above web page is of a totally different type. It is Alford and Sutton No 1, being a Black Hawthorn and Co product of 1883. Although it too has end doors, the corners of the bodywork are rounded, there are some solid (and/or possibly glazed) upper panels, and most significantly it is a vertically boilered machine.]

[5] All that said this has been a most interesting project and I hope others will join me in expressing gratitude that you have shared a most entertaining journey with us. Thank you.


Christopher Payne

Christopher Payne said...


*

PS Some form of warning would be appropriate. How about a lovely brass bell? I am sure you will know were to source such a thing from the model ship building market.

CP

Phil Parker said...

I like the sound of waist high doors - and can imagine how they will look. A bell is also a useful addition. Maybe I have one in the boat bits stash. I'll have a look.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Luke Stevens said...

What about some rolled canvas blinds, which could be lowered when the weather is bad? More interesting than glazing and more fun to model?

Luke