Tuesday, July 30, 2024

G1 Anniversary wagon

 

You can't leave a model railway show without at least one bag or box of goodies. That's the law. 

From G1 North, I came away with this Northern Finescale wagon kit. Bought second-hand, hence it being 17 years old, I had checked that all the main bits were in the box, before putting £60 on my credit card.

My long-term needs for G1 stock are half-a-dozen wagons, and a brake van. Plus a loco, which I already have the kit for. I'm not fussed what the wagons are, but pre-grouping will work best with the loco livery I have in mind. One Accucraft RTR model is in the pile, and this is to be the second in the train. Since £60 to £95 seems the going rate for wagons, the process won't be quick, but I'm not in a rush. 

Working in a realatively new scale to me, means I don't have that overview of the market that I enjoy for smaller size trains. Hence my trip to G1 North to look at the trade. 

Anyway, in the box are some nicely painted sides and ends, with transfers already applied to the sides. Everything is plastic, apart from the wheels. Instructions are a single sheet with some photos, but nothing looks too scary. In fact, on first glance, it's a lot like several O gauge kits I've built in the past.

2 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

Hi Phil, I don't know whether you've come across Simon Castens' Gauge 1 page...he's also modelling "smaller" Gauge 1, with I think a somewhat similar take on it to yours. At the old Titfield Thunderbolt shop in Larkhall, he used to sell some bits by Slaters, etc., and there was part of a micro layout on display but I couldn't see any of it at the current shop a few weeks ago. Although the page hasn't been updated for a while, I pass it on FWIW...though of course you may have seen it already!
https://www.titfield.co.uk/one32mod/Modindex.htm
Cheers, Simon.

Phil Parker said...

Sadly, the page was last updated in 2006, and is hopelessly out of date. Trevor Cousins died a couple of years ago - but his G1 range has been taken over by Walsall Wheel.

I'll remind Simon, I need to contact him about something else.