Thursday, July 04, 2024

Into the guts of a Bachmann Streetcar

Bachmann street car

Time for a bit of a clearout. Back in February, I bought a job lot of garden scale "stuff", and most of it needs to find new homes. 

One such item is this G scale Bachmann tramcar (street car for US readers). On the track, the lights come on, but nothing moves. Time for some investigation. 

Flipping the model over, and undoing four chunky cross head screws, removes the chassis. 


With this off, it's time to undo six more to drop the keeper plate off the bottom. 


 

It's all nicely chunky in here.I hadn't expected a double reduction drive either. 

Sadly, putting power directly into the sides of the motor, doesn't make it operate. I've checked the continuity, so power is getting around the model, so I can only assume a dead motor. 

If I didn't already have one of these, I'd find a new motor, and spend 20 minutes swapping it over, as it is, the model is listed on eBay to find it a new home.

2 comments:

Luke Stevens said...

Sold! At 10:36 am this morning. Clearly an early bird who got the worm. Hope it has gone to a good home :)

Luke

Phil Parker said...

Sorry, snapped up very quickly.