Tuesday, July 02, 2024

Wittenberg Schafer Loco, body beautiful?

 

I think this loco is really attractive, in an ugly sort of way. Always particial to the more "unusual" prototypes, it was always going to feature on my rolling stock wishlist. My freind Andy thinks it looks like a wardrobe on wheels, but I'll ignore him. 

The body is a simple to assemble MDF item. The only tricky area is the roof, the wood for this needs to pre-curved and the piece in the kit proved stubborn, so I substituted it with a spare bit from our stock. Same thinkness, but much more flexible. 

How did I form the wood? In a set of metal rollers!

I don't understand why, but this technique works pretty well. Every so often there is a cracking noise from the wood, but it survives, and keeps the bend. I'm going to need to tidy the background up before using that photo in print though.

5 comments:

KCD said...

It would probably help if you soaked it in a little water before rolling. Might help keep its shape as it dries.

Paul B. said...

Hmmm, this looks like a kit I could be very tempted by. I already have a vague plan for something similar in 006.

Phil Parker said...

KCD - It had an hour in a water bath, and still seemed very stiff. Odd, as you are correct, this normally works.

James Finister said...

Phil, try steaming it rather than just using a water bath.

Paul B yes it would work well,it is a pity that the HOf range is so hard to find now. I guess I'm stuck with just my two PI locos.

Phil Parker said...

Too late, the model is now finished, complete with a curved roof.

Good point about steam, this would permeate better, but the wood supplied was oddly stiffer than a piece the same thickness from my stock. No doubt the supplied bit can be used, but sometimes I can't hang around to wait for it to have a long bath or steam.

Another method involves rubbing alcohol into the wood, but I didn't try that either. Several pints of beer certainly make me less rigid!