Friday, February 08, 2008

Faded wood


faded wood
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
I’m in two minds about this effect. The plan was to simulate weather beaten wood in need of a re-paint.

The base colour was a nice bright red. This was dry-brushed with the same colour mixed with Humbrol 147. When fully dry a weak mix of a muddy brown was washed over it to put some dirt in the joins between the boards.

The result isn’t bad but I feel it’s still missing a little something. Perhaps another feint wash concentrating on the bottom of the wheelhouse to represent the sort of dirt and water that works it’s way up from the deck instead of down from the sky. Maybe some cracking needs introducing into the paint – that’s a small scale detail though, and I’m building a boat to be viewed from a distance.

It’s not bad and definitely not bad enough for me to want to re-do the work. Perhaps once the hull, currently a bright green, is dirtied down things will seem more natural.

On the other hand, that rope on the hatch looks good. Even I think it looks like a separate part (it’s not) and I painted it. Maybe I’m just easily fooled !

No comments: