Monday, February 18, 2008

Weathering the hull


hull front
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
This is a job I’ve been putting off. Partly it’s because it means getting out the airbrush, and the garage is cold and unwelcoming at the moment. Mostly it’s because I didn’t want to mess it up and have to repaint the hull.

The obvious thing to do is to take a look at prototype photos and copy them. In this case that doesn’t help as this isn’t a model of a real boat, it’s a 3D cartoon of a trawler. I know who I would like to copy – Peter Barnfield. He paints fantastic pictures that are just like this model. I don’t have a 10th of his skill though so I have to do the best I can.

First stage was as usual to dry-brush the green bits with a lighter version of the base colour. Since this was “snot green” I had to improvise with something suitable from the paint drawer. The base is acrylic but the varnish coat protected it well enough so there was no paint lifting.

Next, the airbrush was fired up and a very weak mix of pale brown and rust sprayed on. I’m not sure you can really see it but at least the thinners helped take the edge off the light green.

As a cartoon this works OK. The colours are muted but still strong. I could probably lay on some more dirt but for the moment I’m happy. This is a working vessel after all, not one headed for the scrapyard.

No comments: