Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Building a powerbox - Part 1. Basic ideas


The Problem: I use a Gaugemaster handheld controller and transformer on all my layouts. Both have 5-pin DIN plugs on the end. Handy for the fully wired layout, but no good when I need to test a model on a new product or a rolling road. What I need is something to plug them in to with suitable outputs for the track. 

My solution, the Powerbox. 


16V AC in. Track power out. All controlled from a Gaugemaster handheld. 

The thing is, my favourite section of the old Maplin catalogue was the one full of lights and switches. 

Anyway, the basics: 

I found an old plastic box in the garage and decided to make use of it. In the side, I fitted the transformer input and on the top the controller connection. For the track output, there is a pair of post connections designed for stereo speakers, I think. 

A lot of this stuff came from odd places on eBay. I tried to stick to UK suppliers, but this was being done on the cheap with the risk that stuff bought in might be rubbish. Sadly, I haven't enjoyed an electrical components supplier locally since Maplin, and before them, Tandy, vanished from our high street. Once or two bits are from the stash of electrical items bought at shows though.

The basics are really all I needed, but then the box is quite large, so I added a few extras...

Michael Campbel faced a similar problem and developed a little box to deal with it. Needless to say, I saw this just after I had finished my version.

3 comments:

Luke Stevens said...

Looks like the sort of thing Gaugemaster should sell...

Christopher said...

Thank you Phil, this is something I have been considering for some time and it has given me a few ideas. (I don’t think I will be going in for all the LEDs though!). If it helps, I have had good experiences with Rapid Electronics in the past.

John Fletcher said...

Hi Phil, I've been using CPC (one of the guises of Farnell) for years and found them to be good. Sadly, during covid they raised the bar for free postage, but it's still pretty reasonable and easy to reach if you want it few things from their vast range. I usually top up my order with their very well-priced batteries.