Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Mazda T2000 kit - Part 3: All done.

Arii Owners Club Mazda T2000

Job done. I hadn't planned a blow-by blow account as I didn't do anything special on the model. As I say, the plan had been to glue the bits together and slap a coat of paint on. Despite those limited ambitions, the the end result looks pretty nice. 

This is a working machine, so I started the weathering with a wash of ink, but it didn't seem to stick properly, so this was wiped away and I hit the model with powders. Some of these were wiped with a damp cloth to turn them liquid so they stuck in the nooks and crannies.

Arii Owners Club Mazda T2000 

The load bed (not quite as mahoosive as the photo makes it look like) is painted with Lifecolor wood effect paints. Probably a bit brown, but I'm experimenting. That's what you do with a model like this. 

One feature I'm not happy with is the canvas tilt. The two parts don't fit together well, and even lashings of filler don't entirely cover things. When in place, it makes the lorry look massive too. I think that one day I'll build some boxes to tie down in the back and ditch it. 
 
The kit is well worth the money, and some. There are part fit issues such as the dashboard which just has to be glued in as best you can, accepting the steering wheel won't be at the right angle. The lights are hopless, almost as though they are from another kit. Maybe the designer though they would fit into holes in the cab, but I had to hack 2mm off the back with a saw. OK result, but it shouldn't be necessary. The front wheel support needed trimming to tuck under the bonnet too. 
 
However, as a bit of fun, it did the job. I'm sure a better and more comitted modeller could really do something with this model and it would look really terrific, as well as being very different from everything else in the collection. Put it in a suitable street scene diorama and you have a winner. 

5 comments:

Steve said...

Lovely model Phil, very unusual.
It's crying out for a Japanese themed Micro layout :-)

Phil Parker said...

Perhaps one of those narrow-gauge logging lines in the mountains that look so interesting... Nooo. Must not get ideas like that!

Anonymous said...

Never mind the logging lines - what about trams, or even "fridge" railcars?

Seriously though, it sounds interesting.

Phil Parker said...

Stop it! :-)

Nick Brad said...

I cannot wait for my models to arrive, after your first post about PlazaJapan, I placed an order and I keep occasionally looking at the new models list, even though the first shipment has yet to arrive.