Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Mazda T2000 kit - Part 2: Build the chassis and start painting.

 

First impressions - this is a whopper of a kit. It might be 1/32nd, but the chassis measures 17cm long and seems really chunky. OK, the prototype can carry two-tons, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. 

Working out exacly how the parts go together is made tougher by the tiny diagrams in the instructions, but I think I managed to work it out. The fuel filler comes in at a a funny angle, the end hanging on the corner of the fuel tank, but most of the rest is easily guessable. 

Despite my best intentions, I did drill out the end of the tailpipe, but otherwise the bits have just been stuck together with Contacta cement and washes of Mek-Pak. 

A blast of Halfords black paint was followed by a dry-brush with dark grey and rust. This is a fairly basically detailed model, but this just brings is alive a little. 

I really did stick to my plan to brush paint the body. A fresh pot of Humbrol 144 - Intermediate Blue - an excellent colour for jeans on model figures by the way - was stired and coats the main parts. For some reason though, it didn't seem to want to stick to the cab. Does this complex mouding need mould release to get it out of the machine perhaps? 

Anyway, after wiping the paint off again, I shot it with the airbrush which worked well. I'm obviously too finescale and picky nowadays!

No comments: