Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Daihatsu Midget - Part 3: Job done, lessons learned

Daihatsu Midget

Finishing the Midget is pretty simple. Part fit is good, you just need to trim the odd bit of flash away, especially on the clear parts, and glue them in place. Deluxe Glue'n'glaze handled the windscreen and lights. Odd there is no glazing for the doors, did the prototype have it? 

Silver lines were applied by bow pen, much easier then trying to keep the brush on top of the raised area. Of course, this lagely vanished in the dirtying. As with the T2000, the transfers needed a lot of excess carrier film trimming away. I didn't bother with anything for the sides as I doubted it would have sat properly on the "dirt" and if applied before that, might have affected where the paint sat on the body.

Daihatsu Midget

Around the back, I've kep things simple. Probably should have painted the tail lights, but I'm not sure of the colours - presumbably just red as there's no sign of any indicators. A black dot will do the job as you often don't see the colour until the lights are illuminated. 

The canvas cover is going in the bin - it's a terrible fit, only just sitting in place. It could be glued on, but I think the model looks nice without it. One day (!) I'll make some stuff up to go in the back. The box art shows crates of fish, which looks nice. Maybe if I see some suitable mouldings, I'll pick them up and spend time with a paintbrush detailing the scales. 

At 10cm long and 4cm wide, this really does have diorama potential. One day. In the meantime, it was fun to build, which is the point.

2 comments:

dana said...

I agree the canvas looks a terrible fit but to chuck it out ?. Phil with your craftmanship skills I have every faith that you can turn a pig's ear into a silk purse . I'm sure you can come up with a way to frame the canvas blend it into the model . It should go into to the parts bin so if not this model then another part for a future kit ?.

Phil Parker said...

I suspect that if I glued it in place and held the part with clamps while it dried, it might look OK - but I like the open look for this model. Besides, the remit with these kits was to stick them together, I wanted easy, not challenges! Mind you, if I fancy a re-visit, they are cheap enough to have another go.