Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Cooper Craft AEC Monarch

 

For a change, the latest kit didn't go into the stash awaiting building. Instead, over the festive period, I built it up like a proper modeller. 

There's not much to say about the build, I wrote a bit more 7 years ago, but it all went together perfectly well. A bit of Contacta plastic cement and some Mek-Pak from my acient Humbrol bottle. It's important to build sub-assemblies for easier painting. Unless you like dodging around the chassis with a paintbrush that is. 

I ignore the supplied glazing in favour of Deluxe Glue'n'Glaze, the results are nice and flush, but it's important to let the windows dry reasonably horizontal to avoid the bottom being thicker then the top. 


The finished model looks suitably old. It's not been weathered yet as I'm not sure where it will end up. A little dry-brushing on the black bits with Humbrol 69 looks fine, but there will be powders once I have a use for it. 


Lettering is by mapping pen and ink, and it looks better in real life. There's something nice (I think) about hand lettering, although transfers do look more professional. This is a fun project and fiddling with tiny letters on the side of the bed would stop it being enjoyable!


No comments: