Friday, February 04, 2022

Mending the Steampunk Whale

 

One of the weirder things I own, and there's quite a lot of competition for that title, is a Steampunk Whale brought back from Cornwall for me by my parents. 

It's a really nicely cast resin model, and looks (IMHO) absolutely fantastic. At 32cm long, it's no lightweight, and being resin, those gun turrets are a little vulnerable. 

Last week, one finally got knocked off as I dusted it. Fortunatly, the break was nice and clean, and I found the turret before it hid away in the corner of my office. 

A blog of superglue would probably have produced an acceptable repair in the short term. Not epoxy, as it's too bulky, I don't want to see a splurge, and touching up the paint would be a heck of a challenge. 

I opted to do the job properly and drilled as near the centre of both halves with a 1.5mm drill bit, and then superglue a scrap piece of tube in. This provides a bit of strength, hopefully avoiding me having to do this again!. 



No comments: