Thursday, February 17, 2022

Building a Powerbox - Part 3. More switches and sockets

 

One feature I've always built in to my layouts is an extra direction switch below the controller socket. 

You see, I'm not that good at making sure my kit built locos all operate the same direction when you drive them, and since it's easier if the switch on the controller is matched to the direction of travel, the extra one sorts this out. 

I'd like to say I note those models running reversed and swap the motor wires when back at home, but I'm usually more interested in doing something else. Besides, I have a switch, so I might as well use it. 

From my electronic bits drawer, I found a nice chunky slide switch and wired it in. I like chunky switches, they are so much more satisfying to use. 

This one has a centre off, which has already caught me out once, but I'm sure it's a good idea. 

While the output posts are nice, I thought some chocolate block style versions would be useful as well, and I have some that are pushed to grab/release the wire. 

I know these came from a show because I'd never seen them before and knew there would be useful for something. As well as track power (red and black wires) I've connected the second 16V AC output from the transformer, just in case this is handy one day. 

Finally, the same input that goes to the controller is wired to a chocolate block poking out the side and operated through a couple of holes in the top of the box using a long flat-bladed screwdriver. This isn't an output, but an input. If I don't have access to mains electricity for the transformer, I could feed some 12V DC in here from a lead acid model boat battery. Obviously, not at the same time as the 16V AC is going in, but I made this, I know how it works, so (hopefully) I'll not cock it up. 

There we go. A useful tool made up that I'll hopefully use for many years. There's plenty of space in the box too, if I find more gizmos to add!

No comments: