Monday, April 11, 2022

R279 Mock Georgian House - Part 4. Roof and floors.

 

To my mind, a model building benefits from fitting floors (not flaws, I'll talk about that tomorrow) and walls, so viewers can't look through the windows and see out the other side when they aren't supposed to. Worse, sometimes you can look through the top windows and see through the bottom ones!

A floor is supplied with the kit, but I've bodged the walls out of Daler board card. Black colouring is from a fat permenant marker as I couldn't be bothered to use paint. It all looks the same once the roof is on anyway. 

Painting the roof follows the instructions in St Martyn's book, The Art of Weathering - always a useful resource for ideas and well laid out for dipping in and out of. 

Bacially, a coat of tarmac followed by a small number of tiles picked out in a tarmac/lead mix. Finish up with a dry brush of tramac/pale grey mix. He then goes on to wash with dirt, but for this model I think that's a step too far. If I find it a home on a layout, my mind might change, but it's easier to add the wash than take it away.

2 comments:

James Finister said...

That looks like it might also have scope for conversion to one of those brick office buildings you sometimes see on industrial sites

Christopher said...

I think Humbrol/Hornby deleted “Tarmac” 112 a few years ago, so I hope my old tinlet is still usable! Phoenix Precision P970 is supposed to be a substitute. In general, Humbrol paints seem more difficult to find these days and Revell enamel is what is on offer, if anything. I feel Humbrol/Hornby are missing an opportunity here…