Tuesday, April 12, 2022

R279 Mock Georgian House - Part 5. Getting it wrong.

 

Recently, a friend who is house-hunting and I discussed the merits of houses that have their stars in the living room and no hall. It seems this is a common feature which keeps the price down, at the cost of higher heating bills. 

It seems that I've built the Hornby kit this way. You see, I messed up and transposed the end walls. As designed, the stairs will go up from the hall, which is behind the front door. Half way up, they will be illuminated by this window, which is just above the first floor level. 

Put the sides in the wrong place, and those stairs are in the living room. Not ideal, but not out of the question either. I seem to recall as a child, one of my friends houses being re-built to include this feature, and I thought it very avant-garde at the time, this open-plan look. 

I'll admit when I realised this, there was some thought about running some solvent into the corners to disassemble the model - but I decided that I'd ruin the paintwork. Also, that it would be a pain and not the fun sticking a kit together experience I was after. Besides, if I don't tell anyone, they probably won't notice.

However, I might have messed up a little, not this bad. 

Described in the auction as: Hornby OO gauge plastic mock Georgian house with detached garage. Garage door opens and closes. This has been glued together quite nicely.

Quite nicely, apart from fitting the back wall upside down then!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the person who put together the auction kit was the same one who many years ago built an Airfix, or it might have been by then, a Dapol, Booking Hall kit for its review in 'Railway Modeller'. That too had an end wall fitted upside down!

Huge said...

Bit of a cake-up there, Phil....

Colin said...

That took me at least twelve seconds longer than it should have done before I spotted the error.