Saturday, April 09, 2022

Saturday Film Club: An animated trip along the Marine Drive tramway

There have been many lines lost on the Isle of Man, one of which is the Douglas Southern Electric Tramway running from the capital to Port Soderick. Clinging to the cliffs, and often spanning gorges on bridges, it must have been one of the more spectactular rides, which you can now experience in this simulation. 

If anyone has a mahoosive pile of cash going begging, I'm sure it could be re-instated and an original tramcar repatriated from Crich.

3 comments:

James Finister said...

I think rebuilding the road would be quite expensive. I walked it once, and suspect it is in even worse condition now...

Colin said...

That was tremendous. Until now the Douglas Southern Electric Tramway had just been a name to me. What a stunning loss it is. Thank you.

Phil Parker said...

James - I agree, it would be terrifyingly expensive, but then I don't have cheap dreams! Mind you, I'd restore the Peel line first. Got £35m to spare? :-)