Sunday, April 17, 2022

Visiting Britain's Biggest Model Railway

 

Last week, I spent a few days at Shepton Mallet to see Heaton Lodge Junction, Britain's Biggest Model Railway, on display. 

Actually, I was there to see, and photograph several other model railways, but HLJ was the big draw, and the reason the show was taking place. 

Now, I have seen the layout before, but this was the first time in a room without pillars and other view blockers. I knew it was big, but the size still astounds me. Being able to get up on a balcony (by hopping over a velvet rope) made appreciating its scale even easier. 


More importantly, for the first time I was able to enjoy the layout in operation. Simply leaning on the barrier and watching the trains pass by, I was transported back to the 1980s and standing on a lineside. Maybe here it was a bit too good, there wasn't much of a wait for some movement, but even so, this was a slice of "the good old days" when most trains were hauled by a locomotive and there was plenty of four-wheel freight rattling its way through the countryside. 

You could do this in OO, but I feel the larger size of O gauge makes the whole concept work perfectly. Of course, this deamnds space, but as you peer into the distance to try to spot a train approaching, you see the value in such a massive undertaking. 

Sadly, at the moment, this might be the last time the layout goes out. The costs of moving it in two articulated lorries and a 7.5 tonner, mean that a lot of people are needed through the doors to make the show pay - especially in these days of high fuel prices. Let's hope the situation changes, as I'd certainly like time to go back and watch some trains with a bag of sarnie and a fizzy drink...


1 comment:

Ian C said...

It was excellent, I was there on Saturday. There were other fantastic layouts there too, my favourite being Bournemouth West, but these seemed insignificant when compared to HLJ! But still excellent and equally enjoyable.