Sunday, February 05, 2023

Steam at Black Bridge

Duchess at Black Bridge, Whitnash in the 1980s

Yesterday, we wondered why trainspotting isn't cool, and now I look back to the 1980s when I was spotting this train!

The location is Black Bridge in Whitnash - favourite spot to watch the occasional steam special from. The fencing wasn't what it is now, and I'm sure I'm in a line of spotters who were waiting for the train. At least we kept well, back from the track, but shouldn't have been standing where we were.

I used to wander down here occasionally when at school, the rear gate being about 2 minutes walk away. I've always liked watching trains go by and this is an excellent spot as you can see them for some distance. 

More recently, I've been known to take a stoll down there. The joys of a mobile phone and Realtime Trains means at least I'm not waiting in hope any more!

1 comment:

Mark said...

I'll have to try and dig out some of the photos my Dad took when we'd go spotting around a similar time. There are certainly some similar shots, but we were lucky in having a barrow crossing on a public footpath not far from the house. This allowed us good shots (without being lineside) of locos heading into Leeds having come through Morley station. There was one occasion when being there was useful as Dad and another spotter put out a lineside fire (started I think by Green Arrow but would need to check the slides). Good days.