Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Warehouse Wednesday - A simple gantry crane

Gantry Crane 1

Spotted around the corner from the big Doncaster Morrisons supermarket, this abandonded (I think) travelling gantry crane. There's no obvious clue what it used to move, but that doesn't matter, as a modelling prospect, it's got a lot going for it.

Gantry Crane 2

The structure is pretty simple and boxy. Rivets, a walkway and ladder could all be found from the usual trade suppliers. All the winch gear is hidden in a simple corrugated box. 

Access for photos was a bit limited, but hopefully you can see enough for a model, the dimensions of which can be adjusted to suit your site.

Gantry Crane 3

1 comment:

AlfaZagato said...

I'd be curious to the age of it. I'm no expert, but the simplicity leads me to think later, post-WWII. I could be wrong.