Monday, February 20, 2023

Winifred the steam tram

 

Winifred from Boot Lane Works

My parents (and me) like the team at Boot Lane Works. After a chat at the NGRS last year, my Dad ended up with a Rose on his workbench, so it wasn't that much of a surprised that a Winifred kit arrived for me at Christmas. 

The kits are a mix of laser-cut clear (and a nightmare to photograph) acrylic parts and 3D printed bits, plus metal axles and stuff. 

Although a motor is included, batteries and control are left to the builder to supply. My plan is to use sime tiny LiPo's and a Loco Remote controller for this part. According to the instructions, there should be plenty of space. 

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the model as supplied. For a start, I don't think steam trams should be glazed. I'll be modifying my model a bit. The LGB 24500 tram looks rather nice,  so I'll be taking a few design cues from it. 

There's nothing wrong with this of course. I'm sure plenty of stock Winifreds will take to the rails, mine will (hopefully) be a little different. I'm going to paint it green with red skirts for a start...

5 comments:

Nick Brad said...

Am I wrong for thinking this would look especially nice in GER Ultramarine blue with Teak panelling? Either way, I'm sure it will turn out amazing and I think the idea of RC control with lipos is the sensible option, espacially as it was designed with this option in mind.

James Finister said...

I might be tempted to scatchbuild a more steam tram like body, and then reuse the body that came with it as a coach, possibly even as its trailer.

Phil Parker said...

If I was going down the scratchbuilding route, I'd just buy the chassis. There are already excellent kits in the range for trailers. It would be easier than modifying the tram body.

Michael Campbell said...

It bears a resemblance to the (Hughes?) tram on the Wantage, which had end doors and was glazed.

Phil Parker said...

I didn't know that one - I'd see then other curved corner version. It's not a beauty is it?