Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Boiler painted

 

A blast of matt black aerosol provided most of the colour for the boiler. The rest of the work was just picking out the pretty bits. 

Wooden cladding is a couple of coats of Humbrol 93 (Dessert sand) given a wash of Agrax Earth Shade afterwards. I'm not aiming for perfectly clean, so the mottled effect looks good to my eyes. With this in mind, all the black is dry-brushed with Tank Grey too. 

Gold is Darkstar Molten Metals Regency Gold. A couple of coats do the job here, and it's not too bright. Yes, I know that Non Metal Metalic paints are fashionable, but I've not had the chance to play with the set I bought last year, and I like the Molten Metal range anyway. 

This is looking promising. Maybe a bit more caracture than finescale, but that suits my large scale modelling.


7 comments:

James Finister said...

That is a surprisingly effective wood effect for such a simple technique.

James Finister said...

An article on painting metallic objects could be quite useful. I've found it best to ignore what it says on the label and to go with what looks right - especially with "brass"

Phil Parker said...

Thanks - I was pleasantly surprised how good it looked when I did it. I've certainly seen worse on RTR locos!

Paul B. said...

I'm in agreement with James here - the brass does look good, in fact I did wonder if it was real brass at first glance. The wood works well as well, it looks reasonably clean and varnished as I imagine cladding would.

Luke Stevens said...

Very impressed with the wood! Article in Hornby Magazine, perhaps?

Luke

Phil Parker said...

Not sure that particular publication would be interested in publishing me...

Unknown said...

Whoops! Wrong magazine! I meant BRM :)