Sunday, April 02, 2023

The Shay

 

I'm sure a few people read Friday's post and wondered the "more impressive" thing I was picking up was. Well, here's your answer. 

A Bachmann, G scale Shay. In superb condition. 

The Shay is a model I have coveted for a long while. Six or so years ago, there was one for sale on a stand at a G scale event.Price £275. I ummed and ahhed about it most of the day, and by the time I'd decided to go for it, the trader had packed up. I've kicked myself for this ever since. You don't see these things at that price again, at least I haven't.

Spotting this example on Facebook, for more money, but still at a stonking bargain price, I didn't hesitate. Dropping everything and driving half an hour to pick it up wouldn't be a problem. Being the third person interested was, but it turned out that despite the ad saying "no shipping", they both wanted the thing sent in the post. With the box 26 inches long, the sellers decided that someone proffering cash on the doorstep was a better bet. A win for me!

This is an estate sale, and the lady whose father had owned it realled loved his Shay. It was pretty much mint in the box. Not only was I ready with cash, I promised that I'd love it as much as he did - true then, and even truer once I got the model home and ran it up and down a length of LGB track. 

For a start, the model has presence. It's heavy and behaves like it. Them there are the waggly bits on the side. Far more detailed than I'd expected, they are amazing. Yes, I know that there can be problems with the bevel gears, but I also know that replacements are available. I could put this on a rolling road and just watch them. 

There's also an interesting pack of details, including an alterniative smoke stack, and water pickup tube. At some point these will be fitted, but first, there is a proper carrying box to build. 

As well as buying a couple of locos, I spent time explaining what all the other stuff they had for sale was. That's the trouble with finding yourself landed with a collection to sell, you probably know nothing about it, other than it's worth more than £200 - the price some dodgy dealer had offered!

Ultimatly though, like many sales of this sort, finding good homes where the models will be as loved as they had been was the most important thing. And as far as the two locos I bought go, I'm very much that.

1 comment:

Nick Brad said...

We talked about the Shay at Doncaster, so happy to see you finally have one.

I think this is a lesson for all of us though, just in case we do die, have everything catalogued so those left behind know what they have. Even if a value isn't attached, they can at least research the models and find out what they are worth and not rely on a "dodgy dealer" for a valuation.

The most important thing to remember now with a shay, is that forwards is always in a clockwise direction ;)