Sunday, April 16, 2023

York 2023


York is like a big, comfortable jumper. Maybe it's a little tatty, but you love it and keep putting it on. 

I found my first programme for the show recently - it was from 1983, making this a staggering 40 years since that first visit. 40 years, where I have missed very few show, either as a visitor or exhibitor. 

It's a different show to many. Trade includes many smaller maufacturers, and not significant "box shifters". If it's bits you want, then York can still deliver. 

Layout quality can vary a bit. The venue isn't actually that large. Big layouts are found on the ground floor, because they simply won't fit anywhere else. This space isn't that big either, so while there will be a couple of biggies, most are more modest schemes. 

Now, much of my visit was taken up with talking, as it do often is these days, but a couple of layouts really caught my eye.  

York station

York, in 2mm finescale, built by Peter Kirmond, is a work in progress, but isn't too far away from completion, and will be stunning when done. 

The scenic section is less than 10 feet long, and shows a slice of the station, through which run trains from the late 1930s. Visitors peer into the scene and marvel at the roof and footbridge as the trains pass in front of them. 

At the other end of the scale, and winner of the Mal Scrimshaw award is Roadrunner by Les and Leane Conn. 

Roadrunner layout

This could so easily have been a fun idea, badly executed, but, despite being very simple, looks great. The scenery, easily recognisable from the cartoons, is made from insulation material, and is covered in details familar from the show - or the Acme catalogue if you have one to hand. The modelling is lovely, and really captures the correct feel. 

Obviously, there was far more to see and enjoy than just these two, but I did so much chatting, I could have done with another day for watching!

Parkin

Since this is my blog, you will be expecting cake, and I'm afraid, there wasn't time for a trip to the official restaurant, but I did blag my way into the exhibitors tea bar for refreshment and traditional, Yorkshire parkin. It was OK. A bit dry, but as I don't think I've had it before, I suspect it's not tuned to my delecate, southern tastebuds. I'm still glad I tried it though. 

The good news is that Saturday's gate was very healthy, so we can hope that a show, now in it's seventh decade, will continue for a good many more. And all being well, I'll be in the queue again, next Easter.

1 comment:

Les said...

Thanks for the mention and kind words :)