Monday, September 04, 2023

Ask Phil: Sea Lions' radio control

David asks: I have managed to obtain a manual version of Sea Lion, and yes she is a real beauty, I am now looking at converting Sea Lion to R/C, could I impose upon you for some photos of how the R/C kit is fitted and where things like battery and receiver are located, thank you.

Well, here are some photos, but I'm not sure how much help they will be. My model is currently unsteamed, and looking at a loose lead in the cab, not plugged in fully. 


There's no sign of either reciever, or batteries, although I can see a long aerial wire under the boiler. Best guess is that both live in the tanks, although they are very thin, and I can't see an easy way to get inside them.
 

It would help if I could find my instructions - they are around somewhere, but this loco being a shef quee, nowhere near the model!

I hope these photos help a little.

3 comments:

James Finister said...

David Mees might know the answer. I believe he is the person Accucraft use to fit R/C

Phil Parker said...

That makes sense. TBH, it's such a tiny loco, I'd get a price for the job as it's going to be a bucket load of hassle to do it yourself, and there's always a danger of damaging the model.

Having seen RC being fitted at TrackShack (RIP) who probably did Sea Lion, it can involve power tools. I'm confident with this sort of thing, but once the price of the model hits four figures, that confidence will drain a little.

David Elvy said...

Phil,

Thank you for the photos and text, both were useful, interesting to see the manual version has a reversing lever, which is missing from your model, presumably because yours was R/C factory fitted.
Purely a guess but I believe the batteries are in the left hand water tank while the reversing servo is in the right hand tank, on the assumption the reverser is on the right, but I could be completely wrong with my assumption.

Time for me to bite that bullet and get some parts ordered and strip my baby down to get batteries etc fitted.

Thanks, David