Sunday, September 17, 2023

Burton Railex 2023

I love a little show, and so when I needed to head to Rollaston-on-Dove to take some photos for work, I wasn't exactly disapointed. Even though it was a Sunday, and just over an hours drive, I anticipated some interesting second-hand stall action, and a good chance, since the venue was a Scout hut, of cake. 

Well, the venue was a Scout hut, but a well posh one. Two floors, joined by stairs and a lift. Out the back, in the field used for a car park, a climbing wall, on the back of a huge outdoor stage. 

The good news was the second-hand stall, where I picked up my Dr X wagon seen on Friday. I just missed out on a boxed Hornby "Desmond" for 8 quid, but someone else was hovering up every loco in sight. Never mind. 

Layout-wise, the show punched well above its weight. Little Burton, at the top of this post, we have already featured in BRM, or I'd have booked a shoot on the spot. As it was I've taken some establishing shots for another layout, and booked an N gauge for a future shoot. 

There was also a stuning French layout whose names I can't remember, other than it was a play on the word "Marmite". Really lovely modelling, that I so wish I could photograph properly, but the overseas charms would scare the horses. 

Cake? None!

Yes, I remonstraited with the organisers about this. To be fair, this was the first show for a while, and in a new venue. I'm told this will be fixed next year - which is good, as I fancy a return visit. 

Sorry this is a bit shot. There's a video here with more of the show. 




3 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

It was good to see you on Saturday, albeit briefly. I'd like to see more of the French layout, as I'm gathering bits for one at the moment. Stuff isn't so easy to get as it was...one of the main outlets for French outline stuff closed recently and one of the others seems to be doing less. I suspect that the lack of "foreign" stuff in comparison to a couple of decades ago stems from the increased quality and variety of British RTR now available.
I've had an interest in French railways (real and model) since the seventies, a Jouef model of the red and cream Draisine in your photo bought from the local model shop was what started it all...
Cheers,
Simon.

Phil Parker said...

Simon - I'll see what I can do next week. I have more photos, and you've given me the excuse to use them.

Simon Hargraves said...

Thanks Phil!