Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Barclay Chassis


chassis2
Originally uploaded by Phil_Parker.
Building the chassis is my least favourtie part of any loco kit. Everything about the body can be bodged. As long as it looks OK, it is. The working parts are different - get them wrong and the loco will be an embarrasment.

This is the second Barclay kit I've built. My methods for building the jackshaft have changed slightly. on the first I thought the rods would bind on the rear wheels so I put extra washers inside the rod to hold it away from the chassis. This time I left these off and everything is fine. I think the rear wheels crank pins are smooth enough and large enough to keep things in place.

The chassis runs well. With the cranks flying round is very attractive - at least for anyone with an interest in industrial locomotives !

No comments: