Monday, August 22, 2022

Van repair

 

Packing up at the National Garden Railway Show went pretty well - except for the Garden Rail van, which took a nose dive from my arms as I was putting it away. Being a 3D printed model, it didn't bounce on the concrete floor, instead, the superglue joins gave way, reducing it to a kit of parts again. 

Since then, it's been living in a box in the office, but as I needed the box for something else, it was time for some repairs. 


The biggest problem was that the wheels on one side had become detached, and the 3D parts broken. Superglue on it's own isn't strong enough for this job, the joints needed reinforcement with bits of brass wire inserted into drilled holes. I don't think they are perfectly lined up, but look good enough to me, and better than expected. 


After this it was just a case of reglueing the joints with Zap brushable superglue. Some clips held the roof in place while it dried, and did the same for the fenders/running boards. I know the stuff is supposed to be instant, but on the day I did this, it was misbehaving. 

And now I have a van suitable for delivering copies again. It's still fragile - I should really make a box for it, but then it's also a lovely item in the background on Zoom calls!



1 comment:

Huw Griffiths said...

What's coming next - another body, fitted to a cheap radio control car chassis, for a bit of light relief - sorry, "serious research" - during a lull at a future show?

OK - probably not - but I must admit that I've considered a few "left field" rebuilds of cheap R/C cars.

Now I've just got to find the R/C cars at a price that makes experiments like these worthwhile. (OK - a bit more space - in which to work, test and store the things - might also be nice, but I digress ... .)

(Whilst I think of it, I wish I knew of somewhere locally selling real cheap G gauge drive blocks, to allow a secondhand "Wild West" coach to be converted into something vaguely similar to a NER petrol inspection car.)

Don't worry - none of this stuff will never get built - not by me, anyway. I've got too much other stuff on my "to do" list ... .