Monday, October 17, 2022

Peco Goods Shed

 

Peco NB-6
I'm dreadful for looking at a kit for sale and immediatly wanting to have a go at it. Bursting cupboards will atttest to my eyes being bigger than my capacity for getting through projects. 

Quite why an N gauge good shed kit should appeal so much when spotted in the second-hand trough on Anoraks Anonymous stand at TINGS, I have no idea. I don't do much modelling in N, and have no prospect of a home for this model. However, I was paying by card and so there wasn't much restaint on the spend. 

Looking back through a few old magazines, I can't work out how old this model is. My best guess is that it appeared in the early 1980s, but this is a guess. Peco kits tend to live in the range for a very long period of time and collecting old catalogues from the Boys from Beer isn't one of my hobbies. 

Kit parts

Inside the box, an instruction sheet looks pleasently vintage. The drawings remind me of the sort foundin Edward Beal books, but this can't be from the 1950s, so I'm assuming the style has influenced the artist there. All the text looks to have had a typewriter in it's origins. It's also very, very small. Presumably N gauge modellers are thought to have better eyesight than most!

Parts are in self-coloured plastic, but I'll be painting the model. The design is "generic" so I'll just pick some I think look nice rather then fretting about a correct livery. After all, this is a fun, stick it together, project.


4 comments:

James Finister said...

It was one of the first building kits I ever built, and dates way back to the seventies at least.

Having said which it was a very nice little kit. You don't see that many on layouts these days.

Looking at it through modern eyes I would be tempted to replace the roof and do something about the window frames. And, of course, to paint it heavily weathered black.

Nigel said...

I do not collect catalogues but the goods shed appears in the 1973 edition.

Anonymous said...

I have the 1972 catalogue and it's in there too, price 65p!

Simon Hargraves said...

The box photo makes it look an attractive little building. If you left off the office it would be rather like some of the small goods sheds at wayside stations in Sussex. I may have built one years ago...can't remember!
I'm part way through the engine shed kit of similar vintage (like the ones Chris F's used on Half Acre) but shortened a bit and with a water tank over one end.
While these kits don't seem to be based on any specific structures, sometimes I think freelance/ generic is no bad thing.
Simon.