Thursday, October 27, 2022

Tea and cake with the Heart of England Narrow Gauge Modellers

 

Cake and loco

An e-mail arrived a couple of weeks ago from the Heart of England Narrow Gauge Modellers. I have a freind who is a member and this means I'm on the mailing list. They were holding an event in Rugby, and a couple of large scale test tracks were promised. 

With the Merlin Mayflower still not properly tested, I asked if I could come along and was welcomed with open arms. 

Test tracks

The tracks weren't quite what I was expecting, being heavy-duty plastic track laid on benches, but I decided to give it a go anyway. After all, there was tea, and some really excellent cake, and people seemed excited by some live steam action. 

Sadly, the 45mm curves were just a bit too tight for the loco, so I quickly abandonded the idea. However, this didn't stop me enjoying the rest of the event. 

Finland loco

While the tracks were in the centre, around the rest of the scout hut, were other layouts. It was all really relaxed and chatty. The sort of event I love, but hardly ever find time to drop in to. I suspect many modellers would be a bit sniffy about it - this isn't an exhibition, but a meeting of mates. They would be wrong to do so. 

My favourite loco is the Finland prototype that looks a lot like a shed on wheels. I've asked for an article for GR on this as it's very much my sort of ugly prototype. Simple build too as it's based on a Phil Sharples chassis with less than challenging bodywork!

009 layout

Dating from 1978, this 009 layout is fun too. Trains wind their way up the hill to collect rocks from the conveyer, then descend and dump them in a barge. Simple, small (3 by 2 feet) and yet fun. The owner and I had a long chat about the lack of "play value" in modern model railways. 

Crane tank

The only disapointment for me, was that my visit was very limited. I'd volunteered to go and help with some flat-pack furniture later in the day, 45 minutes in the other direction, so had to escape after an hour. This was a great shame as I was really enjoying myself. A proper relaxed day just chatting about model railways with really friendly people. 

If you want to know more, details of the group can be found here.

3 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

I thoroughly enjoy these sort of gatherings; whereas an exhibition usually has to satisfy a range of punters from rivet-counting pundits to screaming, Thomas-obsessed 4 year olds, meetings of like minded people tend to be a lot more relaxed and agreeable.
I was particularly drawn to the little 009 (Vari-Kit?) crane tank as one of my first attempts at 009 was a combination of a Roco/Atlas 0-6-0 tank loco and a P&D Marsh N gauge yard crane, stuck together with Bostik M890 (clear gel from a tube onto which you brushed a foul-smelling brown liquid "activator").
The result was nowhere near as neat as the one in your photo but then I was about 14 at the time...

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the crane tank. Scratchbuilt crane on a variety.
Pete

Anonymous said...

Vari-tank