Monday, January 09, 2023

1/4 scale VW engine

 

VW Engine
I first spotted the Franzis range of working plastic kit engines at the London Toy fair in 2020. Sadly, I didn't take any photos at the time, but really liked the look of them. To me, they hark back to the Revell "Visible V8" I drooled over in the 1980s Model Maker magazines. That kit is still available, but over time, my tastes moved towards the VW Flat-four found in the back of my Beetle and Campervan. The V8, with all it's working part, still looks great fun, but this is fun, and useful. 

It's no surprise that the VW engine joined the range a few years ago. Let's face it, there are millions of these things out there, and they are now owner by people who aren't scared of a bit of tinkering, so will like a hands-on project for when it's too cold to get out in the garage. 

Anyway, a few weeks ago, this was my big Christmas present. I know I don't need any more kits, but I also don't need socks or other stuff people give as gifts, so I might as well go for something fun. 

The big shock is that I've started building - my first project of 2023!

Inside the very high-quality box, is a mass of individually bagged sprues, some metal rods, springs fitted to a cable tie to keep them under control, wires and even a small screwdriver that doesn't appear to be rubbish quality. 

Also not rubbish, is the A4 softback instruction book. 2/3rds of this is a pretty reasonable history of the VW Beetle, and the engine that powers it. Yes there is Hitler, but also a lot of stuff from the 70s and right up to the end of production in 2003 (I still wonder if I should have blown my savings to buy a last edition new car. I'll never have the chance to own a new Beetle again.). It's a booklet worth keeping in the future - how often do you say that about the instructions in a kit? 

By the end of the build, I should have an electricly powered model flat-four with all the main parts moving, and lights to show the spark. A proper desk accesory that will be fun, and educational, for the future. That's the idea anyway.


1 comment:

Huge said...

Phil - They are great! I bought one during lockdown. Spent ages filing all the pips off the parts from the sprues - not needed! Biggest p*ss-off is that it doesn't fit in the box when built! Currently sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Play value limited - build fun excellent!