Monday, January 16, 2023

Announcement excitement

 

Airfix Bond Bug

After last week's Hornby group announcements, I'm sure you are all desperate to know which ones excited me the most. Well, even if you aren't, this is my blog...

Number 1 - Airfix Bond Bug. The moulds have been found and refurbished for the most interesting car from the old 1/32nd range. Let's be honest, Reliant's cheese-shaped three-wheeler is an amazing looking vehicle. I'll admit that I slightly regret not buying one seen in the window of a local antique shop 20+ years ago for £500. I've not idea if I could fit in one, and suspect the ride whould be claustraphobic if I could, but it's bright orange, how could I not want at least a model? 

On another note. With a bit of modification, could this make an interesting small spacecraft? 

Fab 1

Number 2 - Scalextric FAB1. It's scary to think that Thunderbirds is set around about now. So, it could be me driving Lady Penelope around in the big pink Rolls, along all those weirdly empty motorways seen in the show. 

Actually, it's better I stay away from slot cars as the Tyrell P34 looks tasty (always loved that car) and a Series One Landrover? That's a mad racing car surely...

Deltic

Number 3 - Hornby Dublo Deltic. I've never really got the whole Deltic thing. Perhaps it's because I've never seen, and heard, one working, but I'm much more a fan of a similarly shaped Class 37. However, Hornby are producing the prettiest Deltic for the collectors market and I think it will be a nice looking model. Admitedly, I'm mostly swayed by the illuminating headlights. In fact, they sort of remind me of the classic Dock shunter in that respect. Same nose I think.

Close call - the two-tender Flying Scotsman in Amercian tour guise. The double tenders are as interesting as a six-wheel formula one car as far as I'm concerned. I remember being being fascinated about them as a kid. 

HM7000

Number 4 - HM7000. While the locos are a bit of a dream, I'm unlikely to actually buy them, the new control system does strike me as something I want to know a lot more about. The idea that you have a super-stay-alive capacitor in there makes me wonder if this is a step towards battery powered locos. 

Being able to fiddle with settings on the move sounds good, and putting a lot of the "brains" in a smartphone, seems smart. I'm hoping I get to play with one of these for work. It might be a bit of a gamechanger for model railway control systems. A nice example of the Margate team looking to the future. 

Anyway, that's my list. Did anyone else spot something to pique their interest?


7 comments:

mike pollard said...

Phil, remembering back to when the full size version first came out, they were for sale in my local Woolworths store in Aylesbury. If memory serves me well they were next to the broken biscuit and broken crisp packet (1d) counter.

Richard said...

Hi Phil, For me there are three:

First the Vintage Classic Fairey Rotodyne https://uk.airfix.com/products/fairey-rotodyne-a04002v because not only was the prototype quirky, never making it into production before the project was cancelled, but also as it was developed in the 50s, at 1.72 Scale it could just about be be used for a very alternative cameo scene on a late steam era OO gauge model railway.

Second the Vintage Classic Great Western Paddle Steamer https://uk.airfix.com/products/great-western-a08252v - just to see how it would go together

And third the Fairey Gannet https://uk.airfix.com/products/fairey-gannet-14-a11007 because it looks so odd...

As for connverting the Bond Bug into a space ship I don't know. The question for me is if at 1:32 scale is it about the right size to convert for Scalextric Slot Car Racing?

Paul B. said...

I remember seeing the prototype Deltic at the Science Museum whilst on a trip there with several other apprentices from the local technical college. Everyone went "WOW" as they turned a corner and found themselves confronted by it, even though most wouldn't ordinarily look twice at a train.

As for 'ornby, I'll be after the 2023 xmas wagon but that'll be it for me. I do wonder at the performance of the Series 1 slot car tho', my old series two wouldn't do more than fifty without complaining. Part of its charm, and I wish I still had it.

Woody said...

Hello Phil,

Like the idea of the Bond Bug as a space ship - maybe a shuttle like craft. You may recall back in about 2008 Top Gear launched a Reliant Robin Space Shuttle which is sort of similar to the bug som there is a precedent. It almost worked if the release bolts would have actually released to let the Robin parachute back to ground.

Woody

Phil Parker said...

Richard - My Dad remembers the Fairey Rotodyne in flight. If they ever make a sound version, it's going to need to be loud!

Phil Parker said...

Paul - I wonder if the Series 1 "racing" set is aimed at the older buyer who can't cope with all these fast cars!

Phil Parker said...

Woody - I remember that episode of TG. Pity we saw so little of the project, it would have made a fascinating show on its own.