Friday, January 27, 2023

Beatties 16 ton mineral wagon

 

R244 Beatties wagons made by Tri-ang Hornby

File this in the "how come I've not posted about this before" group. Answering a question on RMweb last week, I assumed I'd have a photo of the classic, yellow, Beatties wagon online, but I didn't. Shear bloodymindedness made me dig out a couple, and take the picture above. And so, I'm putting it here, so I can find it in future. 

According to Ramsay's Guide, R244, was produced in 1973 as a special edition of 3000. The address of four stores were branded into the side using a technique called "heat printing", leaving them slightly proud of the surface. The guide suggests a tenner for the value, and I don't think this has changed much in years. I don't think I've paid that much, but then I'll sit and wait for these things. If you really must have one now, ebay can probably sort you out for this sort of cash. Boxed examples cost a little more. 

It's such a shame all the shops have gone. It would be fun to photograph a wagon in front of each now though. A project for the future perhaps.

2 comments:

Paul B. said...

I thought of you last saturday when I spotted a Farish Beatties van on a stall in Leek market. Even though it would have sat well with me Taylor & McKenna van it stayed put. I walked away with a Triang Battlespace red 0-4-0 diesel shunter instead. Now my satellite wagons have something suitable to pull them.

Phil Parker said...

A bit of red diesel envy...