Saturday, January 21, 2023

Saturday Film Club - Kathy Millatt builds a Complete Model Railway in 8 weeks

Building detailed layouts to a tight deadline is something I'm familiar with - but I'm not alone. For the TV series Hornby a model world, ace modeller Kathy Millatt built a micro "Port Dinorwic", based on a real prototype. 

Sit back and enjoy being talked through the process. While making a video like this might look easy, it's really hard work with many hours of editing, and that's on top of having to build the model in the first place! 

Port Dinorwic

With my press hat on, I got a preview of the first few episodes of the TV show, and realising that Port Dinorwic was in the first episode, saw an opportunity. Kathy lives about 25 minutes from me so I fired off an email to see if a photo shoot was possible. It was, and so there will be a full feature in the Spring 2023 issue of BRM. To be fair, while this is an opportunity for the mag, I'd have photogrphed this layout if I'd seen it at a show - very much my kind of model!

2 comments:

Christopher said...

An impressive achievement in only eight weeks! I would have struggled to build something a fraction as good in less than eight years… I saw most of the first part of “Hornby: A Model World”, and was surprised to see that all the buildings had been 3D-printed. Given the tight deadline, I suppose that this was actually the quickest option once the CAD work had been done.

Phil Parker said...

It's interesting that despite the windows in the 3D printed building being "blind", you don't notice when looking at the model for real.