Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Off my rockers?


The push rods are connected to the vlaves by a series of rockers that effectivly reverse the direction of the thrust. On the real VW, it's important that the gap between rocker and valve is correct, and setting it is a bit of a baptism of fire that looks complicated, but I don't think should be that bad once you get the hang of it. 

If you look at the left hand side (in the photos) of each rocker, there is a bolt in the end that can be screwed in and out. A lock nut stops it moving. The principle, as I recall, involves rotating the engine so the valve is open, undoing the locknut, adjusting the bolt with the aid of a screwdriver and feeler gauge, and then doing the locknut up again. The engine must be absolutely cold when this is carried out. 

All this is theory, and I never had the bottle to give it a go. It's a job I'd want someone talking me through in person for the first time I think. The principles are simple enough, but you must have the engine correctly rotated for it to work. Later engines had hydraulic lifters, so you were spared all this. 

On the model it's a bit of a fiddle to slide all the rockers on the metal shaft, get them in position and then put th shaft into the supports. Still nicer than crawling around on the floor adjusting oily bits though.

4 comments:

Huge said...

Morning Phil - pleased you're enjoying the build. Adjusting yer rockers for real was a regular task back in the day. Your description is mostly right, but the valve has to be closed when doing it. The clearance makes sure that the valve closes fully and is not held open by the rocker. The thingy you twiddle with is the tappet.

Hours of fun...

Phil Parker said...

Thanks Huge - it's a long while since I read the procedure, so I'm chuffed to be nearly right. Never had the nerve to give it a go myself, although it was something I aspired to do.

Paul B. said...

Back when I had a Series 2 Landy I got keen one day and adjusted the tappets to the book setting, .010" I think. The engine just wouldn't run, so I reset them to about .015" and all was fine. There was too much wear in the engine for such fine tolerances to work...

James Finister said...

Paul, Knowing the old Land Rover production line it is quite possible the book setting wouldn't have worked when new...

When we took new IT people on site visits we pointed out that on the Jag lines the technology was vital. On the Land Rover sites a rubber mallet was the most important tool.