Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Watching trains on the SVR

ex-GWR 1500 class 1501

It's nice to get out of the house post-Christmas, and my trip of choice is to the Severn Valley Railway to watch some trains. The low winter sun produces some lovely effects if you walk to the far end of the car park and get on the opposite side of the train to the platform. 

Not being warm, I picked up a hot chocolate and mince pie from the museum and hung around, trying not to step in the puddles while I waited for the train to depart. At the head was ex-GWR 1501, making short work of the coaches, which looked reaonably well patronised. 

Also working trains was 40 106 "Atlantic Conveyor". I'm told that this is an economy measure, diesels being cheaper to operate than steam. Mind you, the steam heating boiler was working well, judging by the plumes emitted from the loco. 

40 106

I find it slightly depressing that I'm old enough to remember Class 40s leaving stations for real. And now they are preserved.

There was a third train in operation, but I missed it as I'd taken a stroll down to Footplate Models, and that trip lasted nearly two hours, thanks to much chatting with the proprietor. I only bought one kit for me, it was a work strip to aquire parts from my next BRM project. Honest. 

Another advantage of visiting between the two big holidays, is the museum book sale. Held upstairs, there's always something interesting on offer. I came away with a few, some of which will be revieed on here eventually, including a Maxn publication that I don't think I have in the collection. 

The only downside was having to drive again. Last year the car took the strain because I was wary of Covid. This year, there were no trains! Maybe in 2024...

No comments: