Monday, January 30, 2023

Rapido UK Hunslet

Rapido UK Hunslet

Another new toy. This time the latest product from Rapdio UK - a 16 inch Hunslet loco. 

Bought, with my own money, for one simple reason - I had a ride in the cab up and down the Chasewater Railway last year. We filmed this for World of Railways and it was a cracking day out. 

Now, I would have been interested in this loco without that. Industrials are my thing, and the Centre Models whitemetal kit has long been on my radar. However, a top-quality RTR version will do, especially if I can have it in the colours I know it best. 

For World of Railways, I recorded a quick video, and since I bought this model, I can't see it hurts to share this here:

First impressions are good. Checking with Rapido Andy, the buzz on running at speed should fade with running in, and also a better controller, they most definitely do not recomend an ancient H&M!

One area that lets the model down a bit are the plates, so a set of etched versions has been ordered from Planet Industrials. Once they arrive, I'll fit a crew, and 3D printed model of me. That, and the hatch seen on the preserved prototype but not the model. 

The reason for this terrible omission? 

Technically - the preserved Holly Bank No.3 is not No.3 either - it’s actually Darfield No.1. And the "real" Hollybank never recieved a roof hatch. 

But, I remember the hatch, because I spent a lot of the journey poking a camera out of the top - so I'm going to have to try to work out the size of the hole, and hack it into the roof of my model!

4 comments:

Simon Hargraves said...

Hi Phil,

I'm trying really hard not to get tempted by all these new industrial RTR offerings, both in 00 and 009. I suppose it helps that my 4mm standard gauge modelling is in EM so anything I buy will need converting.

Interesting that your first choice would be a kit...though I wonder whether the availability of these new RTR locos might cause some who have kits stashed away to get them out and move them on.

Glad you've made the decision to modify your new loco to reflect the one you have ridden in, someone has to get the first!

Cheers,
Simon.

James Finister said...

Unlike Simon I've found myself unable to avoid the temptation. If nothing else they might end up a couple of little booknooks

Phil Parker said...

Simon - Ever since I built the Centre Models Avonside kit, I've fancied trying others in the range. Not high on the list, but I do keep an eye open for second-hand examples.

However, I can't resist modelling a loco I've ridden on. And the nameplates are on the way...

badgercote said...

I used to live in Darfield and as a youngster would visit Darfield Main colliery where Darfield No. 1 was working. Somewhere in our house are some black and white photos I took of it when it was still there, before it went off to Embsay. I am awaiting delivery (tomorrow, Wednesday) of my green version of this engine as it was originally green at the pit. I have a photo of it when it was very, very dirty with the word "Mallard" scrawled on the side and I may try to get it weathered later to match.