Sunday, November 19, 2023

Driving trains on the Bredgar and Wormshill Railway

 

Phil on a loco

While I'm still stupidly busy, some days at work are more fun than others. Last week, I was invited by a model railway manufacturer, to join them on a staff awayday at the Bredgar and Wormshill Railway. Not a line I'd heard of, partly because it's in deepest Kent, a bit of a drive for me. 

The railway is a bit of a plaything, much like Statfold Barn. No line existed, until the owner needed somewhere to run a collection of 2ft narrow gauge locos. Since then, it's bedded in nicely. The collection has grown, and there is an impressive works to maintian, and build, new rolling stock. 

The collection of locos, both steam and diesel, is impressive. As a fan of weird locos, I was very happy. In addition to the railway stock, there's also vintage tractors and a substantial G scale model railway. 

Now, I'm not really that into footplate action, but the others insisted I have a go on both the Quarry Hunslet and Barclay diesel - and they were both great fun to drive. I'd happily have had another run on the Hunslet as I felt I was getting the hang of it and fancied a go on the controls with less instruction. However, lunchtime got in the way, and then there was video to shoot, and chatting to do. 

The cake is excellent though, and the cafe opens to the public, even when the line isn't operating, so if you are in the area, it's well worth checking out.



No comments: